Kudos to my mom for sharing this heart-healthy sweet potato casserole recipe. I made it the other day and it is delicious! If you are looking for a last minute healthy Thanksgiving dish or just like sweet potatoes, I highly recommend this:
What you need:
4 Medium-Sized Organic Sweet Potatoes
3 Medium-Sized Apples
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup organic brown sugar
3/4 cup orange juice
2 Tbsps Cinnamon
2 Tbsps omega-three smart balance ( butter)
1) First boil the sweet potatoes till soft. Also, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) While the potatoes are boiling, chop apples into even slices, and feel free to remove the skin if you wish ( I left some of it on for the sake of added fiber…)
3) Remove sweet potatoes, let cool, and slice off skin as much as possible. Evenly slice sweet potatoes and place in casserole dish, along with apple slices and walnut pieces.
4) Mix the orange juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, and smart balance in a sauce pan and heat. Stir while it’s heating.
5) Take the orange juice/brown sugar/Cinnamon/Butter mixture and evenly pour it over the sweet potatoes/apples and walnuts. ( Make it look pretty! :))
6) Put the entire dish in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees.